DIY Painting Projects For Beginners
Sometimes taking on new home painting projects can be a bit more than you expected. Luckily, you don’t need to be a professional to make your house look as good as new. To help you get started, here are a few interior and exterior painting painting projects you can do over the weekend.
DIY Interior Painting Projects
Your home is an extension of who you are. While adding wall art and family pictures is a great way to add a cozy feel to any home, there are plenty of DIY painting projects for beginners to let your personality show.
Painting an Accent Wall
Instantly give any room a new look by simply changing one wall. An accent wall is a great way to add a bit of color to any room, without having to make a huge commitment. This is a cost effective way to visually change your living space.
Go beyond a solid colored wall with painters tape. Add stripes, shapes, and a multitude of colors. An accent wall is your chance to be bold and have fun, so don’t be afraid to be creative.
A little paint can elevate the mood of any room, and we don’t just mean the walls. As durable as some furniture can be, adding a fresh coat of paint is a great way to bring ordinary furniture back to life. Painting furniture can also be an inexpensive project for parents who have kids that think they are “too old” for what they have now.
For furniture painting projects, follow these easy steps for a longer lasting finish:
- Prep your furniture. Make sure to give your furniture a good cleaning before beginning.
- Sand down the area that you plan to paint. By removing the current finish, your paint will have a new surface to grab onto.
- Remove any dust. Using a cloth, wipe down all surfaces.
- Prime it. This will help your paint adhere to the furniture better and cover any discoloration from the wood.
- One more light sanding. This will remove any drips that might have dried and give you a smooth surface. Remember to remove any dust left.
- Begin painting and have fun!
- Protect your furniture. Once your paint has dried, add a light layer of Polycrylic or Furniture Wax.
DIY Exterior Painting Projects
The elements can be unforgiving to the exterior of your house. From thunderstorms, to the dry heat of the summer, the year round weather exposure can dull down any home. When planning any DIY exterior painting projects for your home, remember to pay attention to the weather forecast. Ideal temperatures will be between 50 and 85 degrees, in indirect sunlight, with little to no humidity. Note: places directly in the sun will have a higher surface temperature than forecasted.
Painting Garage Doors
While painting a garage door can seem like a giant undertaking, it’s actually be a fairly simple project and it can extend the life expectancy of your garage door. When painting your garage door, you should begin at the bottom and work your way to the top. Taking a step back and looking to make sure that you have an even coat of paint over the entire surface.
Before you begin painting, if needed, make sure to follow the same steps above for painting furniture.
Painting Window Shutters
Window shutters are the accent wall of the exterior of your home. Typically, a little color added to your window shutters can make your house look brand new. Just like a garage door, this simple DIY painting project can greatly extend the life of your window shutters.
When painting wooden window shutters, follow the same furniture process listed above. However, if you have vinyl or plastic window shutters, follow these easy steps:
- Remove the window shutters. Not every window shutter is installed the same way. Make sure you properly remove your shutters to prevent any damage.
- Clean your window shutters. Using warm water, soap, and a sponge; thoroughly wipe down the entire window shutter.
- Begin painting!
- Dry your window shutters. Do not try to speed up the drying process by placing them directly in the sun, let them dry in the shade.
While these projects are quick ways to refresh the look of your home, other projects may require professional help. For any painting and remodeling projects that you don’t want to take on alone, don’t hesitate to contact the experts at AHC Painting and Remodeling.