Door installation and repair seems like a pretty simple task, but anybody who has tried DIY door replacement will tell you how complicated it really is.
First, there is no universal door size and style. Also, due to the nature of the soils in San Antonio and Central Texas in general, house foundations can shift and settle. When replacing a door into a shifted door frame, there can be lots of sanding and shimming involved to get the perfect fit. This process can take hours of work to make the door fit perfectly.
If you need a door installed or repaired the right way, call AHC Painting and Remodeling. Our team provides comprehensive assessments and repairs for your door installation and repair needs, giving you the high quality work that other companies only talk about.
Replacing a Door
There are two different ways to replace a door and each method has its own particular challenges:
- Replacing the door and frame with a prehung door: With this method, you will take out the actual door panel, as well as the door frame, in order to replace it with a new pre-hung door already in the frame. When removing the door frame, you will likely damage some of the surrounding trim and drywall which will require patching and painting.
- Replacing a door panel into the existing frame: With this method, the existing door frame is left in place, and we only replace the actual door panel. This is the most common method of door replacement, but it can be difficult to get the perfect fit as mentioned above.
Fixing a Door
Sometimes we can avoid having to replace the whole door and get by with a simple fix of the existing door.
Common issues that we often repair include:
- Door not closing properly
- Door is sticking or not opening easily
- Bottom of door is chipped or cracked
- Door handle is broken or not working properly
- Door handle no longer lines up properly
- Pet damage to the door
Most of these issues can easily and quickly be fixed or patched, but in some cases we may recommend that you replace the door altogether.
Exterior Doors and Sliding Doors
Exterior doors tend to be more expensive than interior doors due to the materials and amount of glass involved. Anytime we can fix an exterior door instead of replacing it we prefer to go that route. Exterior doors are prone to the same issues and problems as interior doors, but we see additional problems particularly in sliding doors.
Here are some common problems that we see with sliding patio doors:
- Sliding door has come off the track
- Screen on outside of door is broken or off track
- The handle or lock is no longer working properly
- Internal blinds (between the panes of glass) are not functioning properly
- The glass on the sliding door is cracked or broken
Need Your Door Installed or Repaired?
Get a free estimate on your door job by contacting the AHC Painting and Remodeling team. Our service technicians are specially trained to give you the best door installation and repair work, period. If you live in the greater San Antonio area, call us at (210) 880-0149 or fill out our form to get started today!